Monday, October 1, 2007

Further Info...

So, pertaining to the Character Sketch poll over yonder (upper right side of the screen)

--------------

Seriously, I need a little help. Who sounds more interesting. (Yawn) Yeah, I know. The first thing that ran through my head was, "Who are these guys?"


Here is a little more info.


George Fox - (July 1624 – January 13, 1691) was an English Dissenter who is commonly considered the founder of the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as the Quakers. Living in a time of great social upheaval, he rebelled against the religious and political consensus by proposing an unusual and uncompromising approach to the Christian faith.


William Tyndale (ca. 1494–September 6, 1536) was a 16th century Protestant reformer and scholar who translated the Bible into the Early Modern English of his day. Although a number of partial and complete Old English translations had been made from the 7th century onward, Tyndale's was the first to take advantage of the new medium of print, which allowed for its wide distribution. In 1535 Tyndale was arrested, jailed in the castle of Vilvoorde outside Brussels, Belgium for more than a year, tried for heresy and treason and then strangled and burnt at the stake in the castle's courtyard.

William Wilberforce (24 August 1759 – 29 July 1833) was an English politician, philanthropist, and abolitionist who led the parliamentary campaign against the slave trade. A film titled Amazing Grace (released on 23 March 2007), about the life of Wilberforce and the struggle against slavery


Oh and by the way - I will be answering my first question soon, I think.

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Thank you for the brief background on each individual. I didn't feel comfortable voting until I had more information. :)

So now I have cast my vote.

Emily said...

I had no idea who any of these men were, nor time to research. Thank you for the backgrounds.

I just noticed, at this moment they are all tied with 2 votes each. I'm not sure if this poll is going to help you or not.

Good Luck!

Kelli said...

Most definately, I'd go with Tyndale. He reinds me of Wycliffe (who I would consider a greater subject to ponder).